About Wilesco - A short history of our company
The Wilhelm Schröder GmbH & co metalworks factory was founded in 1912.
The Wilesco trademark was born out of the name Wilhelm Schröder & Co.
To begin with, when the aluminium foundry first opened, the company only produced cutlery, badges, and furniture fittings.
At the start of the 1920s, aluminium cutlery and little pans for doll’s houses (so called “domestic toys”) were introduced into their manufacturing programme.
This decision proved to have been very beneficial, as in the following economic, crisis huge amounts of these domestic toys were exported to the USA.
This meant that the company was able to thrive in an otherwise difficult economic period.
In the following years, we reduced our sales of simple aluminium cutlery bit by bit.
We constantly worked on expanding our production capacity in aluminium permanent mould casting and, from 1939, in aluminium and zinc die-casting, adapting to the demand on the market.
To this day, Wilesco’s product lines include weighing scoops with lengths of 3 to 43 cm, plus a wide range of coat hooks and hand towel hooks.
Our die-cast zinc and aluminium products are mainly used as circuit components, joints, etc., in the automotive and electronics industry.
We even make the flywheels and rods for the steam engines ourselves using this process.
We began producing model steam engines only in 1950.